Congolese national arrested with phones linked to suspected theft network
Nansana Police in Wakiso District have arrested a 34-year-old Congolese national suspected of buying and dealing in stolen mobile phones.
Police identified the suspect as Justine Kulimushi, who was arrested on August 20, 2026, after officers received information that he had returned to Uganda to purchase stolen phones from Kalungi Plaza.
Kampala Metropolitan Police deputy spokesperson ASP Luke Owoyesigyire said the arrest followed investigations into the theft of an iPhone worth about Shs3 million reported at Nansana Police Station on April 21, 2026.
Police traced the stolen phone to Kalungi Plaza before it was transported to Beni in the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Investigators said intelligence reports showed that Kulimushi frequently travelled to Uganda to buy stolen phones and transport them to Congo.
During the operation, Nansana Police and intelligence officers recovered 27 second-hand mobile phones of different brands and models from the suspect.
Police said some of the phones had been factory-reset or flashed, raising suspicion that they were stolen and prepared for resale.
The recovered phones are believed to have been stolen from different parts of the Kampala Metropolitan area and collected for sale to Kulimushi and other dealers.
Kulimushi remains in police custody as investigations continue to establish the source of the phones, identify their owners and find other people linked to the suspected network.
Police have asked people who have lost mobile phones to report to the nearest police station and provide details that could help recover their devices.