The president, who has been insistent on adhering to COVID-19 standard operating protocols even after the World Health Organisation said the pandemic was no longer a threat to the world, was diagnosed with COVID-19 after exhibiting minor flu-like symptoms, according to Dr. Diana Atwine, permanent secretary of the Ministry of Health, who confirmed the development on Wednesday night.
Museveni tests positive for COVID-19
President Museveni has tested positive for the COVID-19 virus.
She said that the president, who is in good health, is carrying out his duties and following protocol, which includes keeping a distance from social gatherings.
"On June 7, 2023, the President had a COVID-19 positive test result. After experiencing moderate flu-like symptoms, something happened. However, he is in good health and continues to carry out his tasks normally while following SOPs," a tweet from Atwine on Wednesday evening read.
The president disclosed that he was a suspect in the COVID-19 attack when giving his State of the Nation speech on Wednesday.
The Leader of the Opposition in Parliament, Mattias Mpuuga, expressed worry the previous day over what he called a waste of public resources on COVID testing for those meeting the president.
He said this yesterday before the State of the Nation Address, which was attended by approximately 2000 officials, including all MPs, who took the COVID-19 test.
There have been concerns raised by the Ministry of Health about the increasing cases of COVID-19 in the last month.
Towards the end of last year, the World Health Organisation declared Uganda COVID-19-free and later made a pronouncement that the disease was no longer a threat to the world.
Eyewitness? Submit your stories now via social or: